Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Put Your Passions on the Front Burner

Creating space for your favorite activities--be they eating out, traveling, reading--is so important to living a full life.  
My foodie friend won’t eat at the same place twice.  “There’re so many restaurants out there,” he reasons.  “And I want to experience as many as possible.”  

He researches and carefully selects new restaurants, then relishes the entire dining experience: the atmosphere, menu, starter, main course, desert and coffee.  

I love hearing his insight during a meal: “The decor is decadent and almost kitschy”, “This minimalist atmosphere is more my speed”, and “My only complaint is that the menu offers Indian and Italian food.”  

Pursue What You Love

I'm inspired by his tenacity to pursue a passion with wild abandon.  And though I can’t say I share his love for cuisine exactly (I tend to seek out one or two places I like then patronize them over and over and over--so maybe I’m a little OCD), I do have a love for audio. 

Be it podcasts or audiobooks, there’s way more content I want to consume than there are hours in a day.  

In a past life, I worked at home and could listen to hours and hours of podcasts and audiobooks from my computer. 

However, after moving to Hong Kong and spending hours each day commuting, I became aware of how hard it was to listen on the go. 

are a huge pain
Untangling these several time a day was making me cra-cra.  
I was constantly untangling the wires of my earbuds--they’d knot up after only twenty minutes inside my purse. 

Being attached to my purse by a cord made navigating city crowds awkward, too.  And I’d take the earbuds out and put them in again constantly—anytime I needed to talk to someone or make a purchase.   

And with all noise of Hong Kong, I’d have to either to crank up the volume or continually start and pause the program I was listening to.  

In short, wired earbuds were an enormous PITA. 

Love My Bose Noise-Cancelling Headphones

For several weeks, I’ve had my eye on Bose’s noise-cancelling headphones.  My old roommate had a pair and loved them.  Although they’re pricy (over $400!), when the white-and-rose-gold limited edition pair came out, I went for it.
  
I'm loving the Bose Noise-Cancelling 700 headphones.  Totally worth it.  
Now that I’m using the headphones, I see how the purchase made so much sense.  They've given me the capacity to do in spades something I really love.  

I listen to audiobooks, podcasts and articles CONSTANTLY now.  Last weekend I finished an entire audiobook and got two hours into a second while walking about doing errands.  (And since the Black Friday sale at Audible, I have more audiobooks to get going on!) 

I love wearing them around the house as well.  If I walk into another room I don’t have to pause the program but can listen continually.  

And the noise cancelling feature is amazing.  I can hear above the din of city noises, including super-loud buses and underground trains, without having to crank the volume up to 11!  


Making Your Passions Simple to Pursue

It’s hard, sometimes, to do the things we love.  (Or even to identify what those things are!)  

Hiking, going to the movies, eating out and traveling are all complicated and sometimes expensive multi-step processes.   

However, it’s so worth it to make the effort and sacrifices for these things to happen.  Life is about living, after all, right?

I think a system or a device, such as my headphones, is the key to making fun things happen.  For example, making an "appointment" to eat out every Friday night makes the practice routine.      

What are your favorite things to do?  Are there any road blocks that prevent you from doing them? 

7 comments

  1. You're so right, Julie! It's so important for us to have something(s) that we love to do and schedule the time to do it. The headphones are a great idea for an audio-lover (I, too, listen to books on my phone with bluetooth earbuds. I listen when I'm driving and when I'm at the gym, but people want to talk to me because they assume it's music I can just stop listening to). My wired earbuds definitely looked like yours. Now I just hate having to use the wired ones (when I've forgotten to bring my bluetooth ones with me). And I love the idea of eating out at a different place every time, but I get so set in my ways that it's just easier to go to the same few places over and over again (I do search out new places to go for special occasions most of the time, though). This is all part of self-care and we tend to put ourselves last. You can't be good to others if you're not good to yourself <3

    Ruth
    https://voguefauxreal.com/2019/12/09

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had bluetooth earbuds, but they do seem pretty awesome; they're so tiny you can stash them away in your purse. The one thing about headphones is that they are pretty huge.
      Yeah, it's easy to get interrupted when you're out and about listening to an e-book. I have to re-listen to things a lot.
      Well hope you find a nice place to eat for Christmas!

      Delete
  2. It is great that you are always out to explore new places! I totally agree with you about pursuing what you love. At the end of the day, it is about making yourself happy, whatever it takes. YESSS!!! Noise-canceling headphones can be expensive but it is worth the investment. I have a pair and it is great to tune out loud people at work. Thanks for the motivation! :)

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think that the headphones are great when you need to focus on something and you're surrounded by distractions. I love them.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this! I really loved reading about your passion and it really helped inspired me to think of some of my own passions that I need to put on the front burner too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. That is the reason such huge numbers of individuals are going to gas stoves for cooking and preparing purposes. best 3 burner gas stove in india

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments.

Julie Anderton © - DESIGNED BY HERPARK